Spring Top 10 Must Do’s
- Drive along the Skyline Drive or take a hike on forested trails in the Shenandoah National Park and observe the spring blooms and new growth (recommend Little Devils Stairs in the spring time for fit day hikers)
- Visit Wisteria Farm and Vineyard, Ducard Vineyard, Sharp Rock, Rappahannock Cellars, Desert Rose Winery, Chester Gap located on the Blue Ridge Whiskey Wine Loop. Wineries and have a picnic on their decks while enjoying a lovely glass of Virginia wine in the scenic surroundings of the vineyards
- Hunt for morel mushrooms in Poplar Forests (focus efforts on the lower slopes of the mountains between mid – April and mid-May)
- Get a wild flower identification book and take walks to search the many different spring blooms (pick your favorites and bring a small bouquet back to your cabin to admire)
- Enjoy many spring festivals of the valley’s old towns (Luray Festival of Spring on Mother’s Day Weekend)
- Canoe the Shenandoah River and relish the many sights and sounds of water fowl and new blooms (Shenandoah River Outfitters)
- Tour the magnificent Luray Caverns and Luray Valley Museum in Luray; or, the Shenandoah Caverns and the New Market civil war battlefield.
- Enjoy an evening of comfortable dining at the Artisan’s Grill, Mimslyn Inn, Thornton River Grille, Griffin Tavern or recommended eateries on the Blue Ridge Whiskey Wine Loop or Traveler’s Trail to Delightful Dining (recommend checking for scheduled live music nights)
- Visit the numerous diners in the valley and enjoy classic generous county breakfasts and lunches (recommend Hawksbill Diner in Stanley, Mok & Shes in Luray) Also, check out West Main Market and Gathering Grounds on the Delightful Dining Trail.
- For history lovers – visit the valley’s many antique shops and museums (recommend Luray Caverns’ Luray Valley Museum, the New Market Battlefield and Museum, the Copper Fox in Sperryville, and the numerous small antique and collectables shops in Luray and on the Antiquer’s Treasure Trail.
Favorite Hiking Trails – Click here to see the details: